Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Tomato Tuesday: Deeply Rooted

 The tomatoes from last year did extremely well. I'm very proud of them for the children they left behind.  The biggest one in this pot is a volunteer of the tomatoes from last year.  I pulled it because it was too close to the sidewalk, but it will go back into the ground soon.  The smaller ones are volunteers from Juliette's garden.  Since I got last year's tomatoes from Juliette anyway, they're distant cousins.

This year's tomatoes got planted, finally.  They waited in their little 4x4 cells until I was ready.  Their new homes are perfect: deep, wide, and filled with Potting Mix and Bumper Crop (potting soil and something manure-like.)  There's a tiny bit of dolomite lime at the bottom, mixed in to the dirt, at the suggestion of the cashier at the nursery.

Three well-rooted tomato plants, joined by a jalapeno, way at the end, by the rusted oilcan and the wooden bridge.  At least 60% of each stem, from the top of the 4x4 cell, is beneath the surface.  Tomatoes have the ability to turn their entire stalk into a root system, so I'm taking full advantage of that fact to give them the best roots possible.


On the right side of my front door, the mint keeps spreading as far as it can. I keep pulling roots out of the areas it's not supposed to grow, but it keeps sending out new roots and shoots.  Here it is crowding the new kid, basil.  



 I love mint. But it has no sense of propriety.

No comments:

Post a Comment